The Plain Dealer: In July 1948, the Cleveland Indians signed Satchel Paige, a 42-year-old pitcher from the Negro Leagues, to a contract. The Indians went on to win the World Series that year. “If you remove Paige’s contribution, in such a tight pennant race, I don’t think the Indians manage to win the AL and go to the World Series,” said Stephanie Liscio, a doctoral student in history and researcher on Negro Leagues history.
PhD student Stephanie Liscio explains Satchel Paige’s impact on Cleveland Indians
- Show CWRU pride, win prizes at Student Leadership Journey Council’s Spirit Day
- What’s better—artificial, natural or no sugar at all? Find out at upcoming 121 Fitness event
- Six Sigma statistical program now available for free on Software Center
- Construction to start this spring on performing arts center project
- Art historian Henry Adams to appear at 2014 ARTExpo to lead tour, talk and sign new book